The importance of strong social media influence to any brand cannot be overemphasized. That is why brands big and small invest a lot of efforts and resources into building social media brand power.
A basic way to measure a brands social media influence is through followers count. Hence, brands compete on “who has the highest followers”. Nowhere is this more pronounced than the world of celebrities – musicians, actors, comedians, etc.
In Nigeria, celebrities brag about their followers’ count; sometimes even celebrating the attainment of some “important” milestones (100,000th, 1,000,000th …followers, etc).
Twitter is one of such social media platforms where Nigeria celebrities try to outdo each other in followers count. This has invariably led to the accumulation of fake followers.
In 2018, Twitter purged millions of fake and inactive accounts resulting in many global celebrities losing a large number of their follower. However, the problem of fake followers still persists. In this write-up, using advanced social media analytics technologies, we audit, analyze and rank major Nigerian celebrities according to their number of fake followers. Before we get started, it is imperative that we know what fake followers accounts really are.
What are fake followers’ accounts?
Fake followers’ accounts are accounts that are currently unreachable and will not see tweets from the accounts they follow. This is either because these accounts are spams, bots or they are no longer active on twitter.
Here is a list of the top 10 Nigerian celebrities with the most number of fake followers:
- Davido(@iam_Davido): Davido’s is a singer, songwriter and record producer who rose to fame in 2011 with the release of his second single “Dami Duro”. He has since gone on to establish himself as one of the top musical acts in Africa.
Davido is followed by over 5 million accounts of which over 1.3 million were found to be fake.
- Wizkid (@wizkidayo): Wizkid is a Nigerian singer and songwriter who started recording music at age 11. He rose to prominence in 2011 following the release of his hit single “Holla at Your Boy”. Since then, Wizkid has become one of the most notable Nigerian musicians, with several released multiple platinum albums and to his credit.
As at the time of compiling this report, Wizkid’s Twitter follower count stood at a little over 4.6 million, 805,896 (27.3%) of which are fake.
- Tiwa Savage(@TiwaSavage): Tiwatope Savage is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, and actress. She is one of the leading female musical acts in Africa with several hit tracks. She is currently signed to Universal Music Group, an international music corporation.
Tiwa’s handle on twitter is @TiwaSavage where she has over 3 million followers. Upon review, 751,770 (25.1%) of Tiwa’s Twitter followers are fake.
- Don Jazzy (@DONJAZZY): Don Jazzy whose real name is Michael Collins Ajereh is a Nigerian record producer, singer, songwriter, and owner of Mavin records. He is well known in the online community for his philanthropic activities.
His twitter account has over 3.4 million followers. But upon review, 738,156 of these followers are fake.
- Banky W (@BankyW): A politician, musician, actor and businessman, Banky W remains one of the most successful entertainers in Nigeria. His hit single in 2007 titled “Ebute Metta” modeled after Rihana’s “Under my umbrella” paved the way for his success in the Nigerian music industry.
Banky W has over 2.5million followers, 545,894 of which are fake.
- Olamide (@olamide_YBNL): OlamideAdedeji popularly called OlamideBadoo is a Nigerian hip hop artist who records in Yoruba. He is one of the most popular musical acts in the country.
Olamide currently has over 2.4 million followers on his Twitter account, but on review, 534,062 of these followers were fake.
- 2Baba (@official2baba): 2Baba is one of the most decorated and successful Afro pop artists in Africa. After the disbandment of his former music group “Plantation Boyz” in 2004, 2Baba released his debut solo album, Face2Face, which established him as a viable solo artist.
He has over 2.37 million followers with 508,792 of them found to be fake.
- Burna Boy (@burnaboy): Burna Boy is a Nigerian Afro artist and songwriter who rose to prominence in 2012 after releasing his lead single “Like to Party”. The self-acclaimed African Giant has released four studio albums since his debut.
Burna Boy has over 1.5 million followers, but of that number, 357,711 of them are fake.
- Kizz Daniel (@iamkissdaniel): AnidugbeOluwatobiloba Daniel better known by his moniker Kizz Daniel is a Nigerian songwriter best known for his singles “Woju” and “Yeba”. Of the 471 thousand followers on his Twitter page, 96,100 of them are fake.
- YemiAlade (@yemialadee): YemiAlade “Mama Africa” is a Nigerian Afropop singer and songwriter who came into limelight after winning the Peak Talent Show in 2009. YemiAlade has gone on to win the MTV African Music best female Award on two occasions. YemiAklade currently boasts of over 371 thousand followers on Twitter with 84,925 of them are fake.
Here are the 10 celebrities with the highest number of fake Twitter followers.
|S/N||Name||Number of Followers||Number of Fake Followers|
|3.||Tiwa Savage||2.9 million||751,770|
|4.||Don Jazzy||3.4 million||738,156|
|5.||Banky W||2.5 million||545,894|
|7.||2Baba (Tuface)||2.4 million||508,792|
|8.||Burna Boy||1.6 million||357,711|