Nigerian passport ranked 12th worst passport to hold in the world and the 6th worst passport in Africa, with access to only 45 countries without a prior visa. This was revealed in the just-released passport Index by Henley & Partners (a global citizenship and residence advisory firm based in London) for the second half of 2019.
It must also be noted that; Nigeria ranks as the country with the biggest fall in Passport strength in the last ten years (falling from 67th in 2009 to the current ranking of 98th).
In Africa, Seychelles remains the country with the strongest passport with access to 150 counties, and a world rank of 27. This is closely followed by Mauritius which gives access to 145 countries without a prior visa and a world rank of 31.
The worst passport to hold in Africa is the Somali passport, which gives access to only 31 countries without a prior visa and has a world rank of 105. The Sudanese passport is the second worst passport in Africa, it is ranked 103rd in the world and has access to only 37 countries without a prior visa.
Globally, Japan and Singapore (two Asian countries) rank as the world’s most travel-friendly passports with access to over 189 countries each without a prior visa. South Korea, another Asian country shared the second position with the likes of Finland and Germany with access to 187 countries without a prior visa.
The worst passport to have in the world in the second half of 2019, is the Afghan passport, which has access to only 25 countries in the world and is ranked 109th in the world.
The 15 Best Passports to Hold in the World
- Japan, Singapore (189 destinations)
- Finland, Germany, South Korea (187destinations)
- Denmark, Italy, Luxembourg (186 destinations)
- France, Spain, Sweden (185 destinations)
- Austria, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland (184 destinations)
- Belgium, Canada, Greece, Ireland, Norway, United Kingdom, United States (183 destinations)
- Malta (182 destinations)
- Czech Republic (181 destinations)
- Australia, Iceland, Lithuania, New Zealand (180 destinations)
- Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia (179 destinations)
- Estonia, Hungary (178 destinations)
- Liechtenstein (177 destinations)
- Malaysia (176 destinations)
- Chile (174 destinations)
- Monaco (173 destinations).
The 15 Worst Passports to Hold
Several countries around the world have visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to fewer than 40 countries. These include:
- Afghanistan (25 destinations)
- Iraq (27 destinations)
- Syria (29 destinations)
- Pakistan (30 destinations)
- Somalia (31 destinations)
- Yemen (33 destinations)
- Libya, Palestinian Territory, Sudan (37 destinations)
- Nepal (38 destinations)
- Bangladesh, Eritrea, Iran, Lebanon, North Korea (39 destinations)
- Kosovo (41 destinations)
- DR Congo, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka (42 destinations)
- Nigeria, Djibouti (45 destinations)
- Myanmar (46 destinations)
- Burundi, Cameroon, Congo (Rep.), Liberia (47 destinations)
- Angola, Egypt, Haiti, Jordan, Laos, Vietnam (49 destinations)
African Countries Ranked by Passport Strength
|Country||World Rank||Accessible countries (Without Prior visa)|
|Eswatini (formerly Swaziland)||72||72|
|Cape Verde Islands||79||65|
|Sao Tome and Principe||86||58|
|Central African Republic (CAR)||94||50|
|Congo (Democratic Republic)||99||42|